Saturday, January 1, 2011

Sun Jars --- Light in the Darkness

I just found out about a really exciting idea for lighting during an emergency.  There's a great article about it here: http://www.preparednesspro.com/blog/let-there-be-light-safely/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PreparednessProBlog+%28Preparedness+Pro+Blog%29&utm_content=Yahoo!+Mail    This blogger talks about trying to go 48 hours without lights, and she found all sorts of  potential problems with candles and flashlights.  Then she got the idea to try using the solar lights that people use in their yards at night.  Someone in the comments section posted a couple of links to places that show how to make them to use in the home.  They are relatively inexpensive, and really easy to do. 





Here's a link to making a homemade sun jar:  http://www.notmartha.org/tomake/homemadesunjar/

The question I have is can I read with it?  This picture doesn't look very bright.  Although, I guess if I can get enough light to function for everything else, I can always use my wind-up flashlight for reading.  I love that thing!  I'll be trying this out.  I'll let you know how it works. 

Happy New Year!  This is going to be the best one yet! :)

No comments: